Tuesday 19 November 2019

The Good & The Bad

My look around the Bowling Green Marsh this morning turned out to be a lot more rewarding than I expected as from the hide I saw the 1st winter male Long-Tailed Duck , quite a few Northern Shoveler , 2 Dunlin and the Long-Billed Dowitcher .
I then went down to the viewing platform area and came across a fresh Otter trail and as it turns out they had an Otter from the hide just after I had left ...Damn .There was only a few Redwing and Goldcrest around the bushes and I was just about to leave when I heard a Hawfinch calling and in my excitement I went up Bowling Green Lane looking for it with no luck , so I went back to where I heard it and it was still calling and this time it was coming from the Riversmeet House garden so there must be some kind of food for it in there , this is a first for me on BGM . It just shows that flogging the same patch comes up trumps sometimes !
I then went up to the top of Bowling Green Lane by the railway bridge to look for a Firecrest  that had been seen there , I was with another birder when 3 of them showed together in the tree right in front of us and another was calling from the railway embankment ...so definitely 4 at least .

Later in the afternoon news came out of a Bluethroat on the sea wall south of the Turf Locks , a few birders went over to look for it but we had no luck at all !

No comments:

Post a Comment