Sunday 10 August 2014

Great Shearwater

I had a text this morning telling me that there was a Great Shearwater lingering off of the sea wall at Dawlish Warren so off I went to get in my first sea watch of the year ! but when I arrived I was told by the other two birders there that it had moved off , it was by now raining hard and I spent quite a bit of time demisting my scope and just as I had finally got it clear and could scan the sea there in my view was a superb Great Shearwater heading towards Berry Head !! I let out a shout and one of the other birders was able to get on to it before it was lost from view .
Other birds seen on the watch were 2 Manx Shearwater , a single Great Skua , 2 Arctic Skua , numerous Northern Gannet , 12 Black-Legged Kittiwake , a juvenile Little Gull & a juvenile Mediterranean Gull & 20+ Common Scoter .
Back home in Topsham I saw the following Butterflies Large White , Small White , Green-Veined White & Gatekeeper .
An Evening add on .... This evening on Bowling Green Marsh in Topsham there was a smart looking Spotted Crake that was in front of the left hand reed bed on the far side of the marsh but as we were looking at it flew to the reed beds on the right hand side and was still there when I left , also seen were 3 Spotted Redshank , thanks to the finder Keith Birchall .

No comments:

Post a Comment