Monday 10 January 2022

Broadsands

 A morning look around the bay at Broadsands got me 2 Black-Throated Diver , 3 Great Northern Diver , a Razorbill , 2 Great Crested Grebe , a Black-Necked Grebe , 3 Northern Fulmar , a Black-Legged Kittiwake and a Velvet Scoter . I then had a look around the bushes and saw 10 Cirl Bunting and 3 Common Chiffchaff .

Two Great Northern Divers stayed together all of the time diving quite close to the shore but at one point I could only see one . I presume this was a male bird , who then started looking for its mate . He could not see her anywhere and started to get agitated . Then to my amazement he started to call repeatedly . I have never heard a diver call in the wild before and this made my day , The female then heard the call and returned immediately and paired up with the male bird .

That is why I love birding !

No comments:

Post a Comment