Saturday 24 June 2017

Red-Rumped Swallow

Now I don't usually go anywhere near Bowling Green Marsh at the weekends because of the disturbance around the marsh . But today I decided to go down and have a look for the summer plumaged Spotted Redshank on the Clyst Estuary but there was no sign of it today. So I was on the way back to the hide when a swallow flew in front of me going towards the main pool showing a pale rump . My first thought was Red-Rumped Swallow but I had only got that view of it up till now so I put news out of a probable R R S & hurried back towards the hide with fingers crossed . When I got there and looked at the pool there were a few Common House Martin , Common Sand Martin and Barn Swallow feeding over the pool and then there to my elation was a superb looking Red-Rumped Swallow feeding with them . I then put the confirmed news out and watched the bird for a while , it then flew over the railway line towards Goosemoor but it then returned to the marsh and by then another birder had got the news and managed to get there and see the bird . We watched it for a short time and then it flew over the railway line again and was lost from view , we stayed looking for it for quite a while but I had to leave then and I don't think that it was seen again . Also seen was this female Western Marsh Harrier that dropped into the marsh for a while .

No comments:

Post a Comment