Monday 28 April 2014

European Honey Buzzard

I spent some time on the Exminster Marshes today and it turned out to be rather good as at around 1.15 pm while searching the sky for Hobby I came across some birds on the thermals 4 of them were Common Buzzards but there was another one & on jizz it looked different with a longer tail and different flight action but from the distance I was at it was hard to pick out any other features on the bird , so I phoned up a friend who was on the other side of the marsh & he got on to the bird and said that it was a European Honey Buzzard and that made it only the 3rd one that I have seen on the marsh in over 25 years ! so I was rather pleased with it , the bird flew towards Topsham and was then picked up soaring over the town
Also seen today were my first two Eurasian Hobby of the year , 20+ Sand Martin , 10 Barn Swallow , 2 Lesser Whitethroat , a Common Whitethroat and numerous Orange Tip Butterflies .

No comments:

Post a Comment