Wednesday 21 January 2015

Snow Bunting

I did the walk this morning from the Fishermans Carpark to the Exe Estuary Sea Wall and on the Exminster Marshes I saw all of the normal ducks for this time of year , 2 Common Buzzard , 2 Common Kingfisher and a Green Sandpiper , then a look around the Turf Locks got me 50+ Dunlin , 6 Grey Plover , a male Red-Breasted Merganser and 2 more different Common Kingfisher .
I then walked along the Estuary sea wall to look for the wintering Snow Bunting and I found it in its usual spot and I spent around an hour just enjoying this delightful little Arctic Gem ! these birds come from the High Arctic with a circumpolar breeding range , but there is a small population in the high Cairngorm mountains of Scotland so perhaps it has come from there , the day was then finished off well as on my walk back to the car I stopped to chat to another local birder Dave Boult and as we were talking a male Merlin flew right past us towards the northern part of Exminster Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment