Saturday 11 August 2018

A Good Day

The day started off with a Great Spotted Woodpecker feeding on the nuts in my garden , a bird that I only get in the garden now and then !
I then went for a look at Bowling Green Marsh at high tide and from the hide I saw the usual birds that we see there , with numerous Eurasian Curlew , 6 Whimbrel , masses of Black-Tailed Godwit and Common Redshank , 20-30 Dunlin , 3 Green Sandpiper , a Common Sandpiper , an adult Mediterranean Gull and the juvenile Eurasian Spoonbill was still on show on the far side of the marsh . I then went down to the viewing platform where I saw a male Eurasian Bullfinch , and as I was looking out from the viewing platform the drizzle had just started to fall and to my delight a female type Common Redstart landed on the seawall of Riversmeet House , it is a bird that we hardly see on the marsh or the surrounding area ! and it is the first that I have found for the marsh .
I was then told that just after I had left the hide a Cattle Egret had dropped in for a brief spell but had flown off north , so I thought that I would have a look for it on the Clyst Marshes and I found it in with the herd of cows near to Darts Farm , so I put the news out and it was good to see other birders being able connect with it .
Out of the moths that I caught last night there was one new one for me , this White-Spotted Pug .

No comments:

Post a Comment