Friday 29 January 2016

A good days birding !!

I started the day off at Bowling Green Marsh where I saw numerous Eurasian Wigeon , Northern Shoveler and Common Teal , there was also small numbers of Mallard , Gadwall , Tufted Duck and Northern Pintail ! the waders on show today included  300+ Pied Avocet , 200+ Black-Tailed Godwit , 2 Bar-Tailed Godwit , 30+ Common Redshank , a Spotted Redshank , a Common Snipe and a few Northern Lapwing .
Other birds seen today on the marsh were a fly through Merlin , a Common Buzzard and a Common Kingfisher .
My next stop was at the Northbrook Golf Course in Exeter where I got my first White Throated Dipper of the year and a Eurasian Treecreeper , I then crossed over the road into the Ludwell Valley Country Park where I saw another W T Dipper , a Common Kingfisher and a Green Sandpiper .
I then went home and had something to eat and guess what my phone went off telling me that there was a Short-Eared Owl showing on the Exminster Marshes so off out I went again , I spent quite a lot of time looking for it with no joy but then it showed again at 3.15 hunting on the north end of the marsh and I just couldn`t resist taking this long distant record shot of it lol .

No comments:

Post a Comment