Saturday 7 December 2019

Lesser Spot !

This morning around 9.30 I was sat in my dining room when my attention was drawn to the apple tree in my garden and to my amazement there in the tree was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker , I was in shock for short while taking it in !! I then dashed for my camera but I got back only to see it being flushed from the tree by 5 or 6 Western Jackdaws who come into my garden daily and take all the feed , it then flew from my garden to a tall tree at the back of my house , I searched for it for about an hour with no luck but a lot of the gardens are unapproachable , I hope that it returns again as I have been in my house since 91 and have never had a sniff of a LSW before today and never even thought that they were in the area . Only to be told that one was claimed on Bowling Green Marsh a few year ago , also one was seen by Riversmeet House before I started birding in 85 , so as you can see it is a very rare bird in this area....or so we think !!!
As I could not get a shot of it I did this pen and ink drawing of it , I am no artist but I did my best lol .

No comments:

Post a Comment